Flushable Wet Wipes vs. Toilet Paper: Which is Better?
It’s something you do automatically every day without giving it a second thought: go to the bathroom, do your business, grab some toilet paper, wipe, flush, wash your hands, and go back to your day.
But is traditional toilet paper the best choice here? Is there something better?
Yes, there is!
Moist toilet tissue -- also called flushable wet wipes or flushable moist wipes -- can offer a more thorough and effective cleaning experience. There is no shortage of brands that offer flushable wipes today.
What are Flushable Wipes?
Flushable wipes, also called moist toilet tissue, are pre-moistened wipes that contain a cleansing solution. They are specially designed to gently and effectively clean after using the toilet. Flushable moist wipes can be used as a complement to toilet paper, or as a replacement for toilet paper.
In addition to providing a more refreshing and comfortable cleaning experience, flushable* wipes are septic-safe and designed to be flushed down the toilet. For example, Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes are made from 100% biodegradable** fibers and can be flushed down the toilet up to 5 wipes at a time. The wipes have passed widely accepted flushability guidelines and requirements and are safe for well-maintained sewers and septic systems.
How are Flushable Wipes Made?
Flushable wipes are made with plant-based nonwoven fibers that can break down in the sewer system. Any wipes that contain plastic are not flushable. You may read articles that talk about wet wipes clogging the sewer system - that’s often because consumers flush down wipes that are not designed to be flushed, such as baby wipes and antibacterial wipes.
It is important that you look for a flushable wipe that is plastic-free, like Nice 'N CLEAN® Flushable Wipes and Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes.
What Should I Consider when Shopping for Flushable Wipes?
Flushable Wipes Ingredients
Each brand of flushable* wipes has a proprietary cleansing solution. Some may include chemicals, alcohol, and preservatives. Many of them contain moisturizing ingredients, such as aloe and vitamin E. We recommend hypoallergenic wipes, such as Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes. Our plastic-free 100% biodegradable** wipes are also paraben-free, phthalate-free, and free of chemical binders to provide a clean and refreshing shower-fresh feeling after each use.
Flushable Wipes Texture
The texture of moist toilet tissue can vary from brand to brand. Some feel softer and more cloth-like than others. Some have a little stretch while others tear easily. Some are lightly textured for a more effective “scrub.” There are many options available so you should be able to find one that meets all your needs in terms of effectiveness and comfort.
Flushable Wipes Features
When shopping for moist toilet tissue, features you can choose from include:
- Flushability: This may seem like it goes without saying, but it’s important to point out that not all moist toilet tissue brands are flushable. Make sure to check the packaging to confirm they can be flushed down the toilet. In general, it’s recommended that you flush only one wet wipe at a time. However, Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes can be flushed up to 5 wipes at a time because of how quickly they break apart in water.
- Scented or unscented: Most people like wet wipes with a light clean fragrance. If not, there are many fragrance-free and unscented options available.
- Contains alcohol or alcohol-free: Some brands contain alcohol, while others are alcohol-free. There are pros and cons to alcohol so find the solution that best suits your needs. If you prefer alcohol-free flushable wipes, try Nice ’N CLEAN® Flushable Wipes. If you prefer a formula with alcohol, we recommend Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes.
- Smooth/untextured or textured: Textured wipes may provide a more effective clean, while a smooth wipe may be more gentle and soothing, depending on your skin sensitivity.
- Wipe size: The dimensions and thickness of flushable wipes vary by brand.
- Ply: Similar to toilet paper, flushable wipes come in single-ply or double-ply.
- Pack size: The number of wipes vary in each pack. It’s common for one brand to carry multiple pack sizes. If you want to carry some in your purse for trips to the restroom while out shopping, at the gym, or at work, lower counts are ideal. Higher count sizes are great to have at home in each restroom.
- Packaging type: Flushable wipes come in soft, resealable plastic packages and rigid plastic containers with pop-up lids. Most are designed to easily open and close with one hand. Soft-pack packages are more eco-friendly and use less plastic to make.
Are Wet Wipes Better Than Toilet Paper?
From a hygiene perspective, wet wipes win.
For a more effective clean, wet wipes win hands down.
For a more soothing and gentle cleansing experience, we’ll have to go with wet wipes again.
From a cost perspective, toilet paper comes out ahead. But the splurge is so worth it!
So what’s the final verdict?
You Don’t Have to Choose!
Flushable wipes and toilet paper are complementary products and many people like having both available depending on the situation. If you find yourself unable to choose between toilet paper and wet wipes, buy both!
If you haven’t tried them yet, treat yourself (and your derriere) to the refreshing comfort of Nice 'N CLEAN® Flushable Wipes or Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSHTM Technology Flushable Wipes. Our skin-friendly plant-based wipes are soft, durable, and soothing. Enjoy the shower-fresh wiping experience you deserve with the Nice ’N CLEAN® brand!
*Safe for well-maintained sewer and septic systems. Not recommended for use with motorhomes or basement pump systems.
**When disposed of in the toilet