The Best Wet Wipes for Camping
Did you know autumn is one of the best times of the year to go camping? While most people think of camping as a summer activity, September and October (maybe even November depending on where you live) are great months for hanging out with Mother Nature. That’s when temperatures cool down a bit so you’re not too hot or too cold. Plus, you’ll enjoy fewer and smaller crowds during that time of the year.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that outside activities are safer than indoor activities. So if you're eager to get out of your house, but concerned about your family's health and safety, camping may be the right choice for you as long as you maintain social distance.
In this article, we will focus on the health and hygiene part of your camping trip. We aren’t going to recommend the best sleeping bags and tents for you because that’s not our area of expertise; we’re going to share the best wet wipes to pack so you can stay as healthy and clean as possible while you’re roughing it in the great outdoors.
What to Look for When Shopping for Wet Wipes
What should you look for when considering what types of wipes to pack for camping? When creating your packing list, here are some things to consider:
- Purpose: What will the wipes be used for? What body part will the wipes be cleaning? Will you also need wipes for sanitizing surfaces?
- Formula: What should the wipes be made of? Do you want scented wipes? Do you need a sensitive skin formula? Should your wipes be alcohol free? Do you need wipes that include moisturizers?
- Environmental Impact: Will you be burying your used wipes or bringing them back with you? What are the pros and cons of using biodegradable wet wipes? How should you properly dispose of your wipes?
Wipes to Pack for your Camping Needs
Face and Body Wipes
If water is scarce, or not easily accessible, you may want to consider using face and body wipes for bathing. There are a large variety of wipes that can be used on your face, skin, and nether regions. These wet wipes will help keep you feeling fresh between activities when showering is not possible.
When shopping for face and body wipes, select one that has a gentle cleansing formula. Also consider ones that contain moisturizers, such as aloe and vitamin E, so your skin doesn’t dry out from using them. Face wipes and body wipes are not flushable or biodegradable so should be thrown away into a trash receptacle or brought home to be properly discarded.
Face Wipes to Try:
- Simple® Kind To Skin™ Cleansing Wipes
- Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleansing Cloths
- Burt's Bees® Refreshing Facial Towelettes with Cucumber and Mint
Body Wipes to Try:
- Surviveware Biodegradable Large Wet Wipes
- Venture Wipes® Large Shower Wipes
- TrailBlazer™ Biodegradable Bamboo Outdoor Wipes
We’re giving hand wipes its own section because it’s so important to keep your hands clean throughout the day. You’ll need hand wipes way more often than face and body wipes so it’s important to pack plenty of these.
If you don’t have access to soap and water, having hand wipes easily available is critical before and after eating, and after using the restroom. Hand wipes are not flushable or biodegradable and should be disposed of in trash cans or brought home to be properly discarded.
Hand Wipes to Try:
- Nice ’N CLEAN® Sani-Hands® Sanitizing Hand Wipes (70% alcohol formula)
- Nice ’N CLEAN® Sani-Hands® Antibacterial Hand Wipes
- Wet Ones® Hand Wipes
When it comes to the bathroom, biodegradable flushable wipes are recommended for easy and effective cleaning during camping trips.
If you’ll have access to an outhouse during your camping trip, simply drop your biodegradable wipe in when you’re done. If you have access to a toilet, you can flush it down after use. If you're relieving yourself in the woods, the best practice is to dig small holes about 6-8 inches deep, and bury your solid waste along with your biodegradable wet wipes in the hole. Make sure the holes are spread out, and at least 200 steps away from any natural water source. Keep in mind that a hole with more sunlight exposure will speed up the decomposition of your waste.
Biodegradable Flushable Wipes to Try:
- Nice ’N CLEAN® SecureFLUSH™ Technology Flushable Wipes
- Cottonelle® GentlePlus™ Flushable Wipes
- Eco by Naty® Flushable Wipes
In addition to cleaning your body, you’ll also want to pack wet wipes to clean your belongings. Disinfecting wipes are great for disinfecting hard non-porous surfaces. These types of wipes are not flushable or biodegradable. If there isn’t a trash receptacle nearby, store used ones in a bag and dispose of them when you return home.
Disinfecting Wipes to Try:
- Nice ’N CLEAN® Disinfecting Wipes
- Lysol® Disinfecting Wipes
- Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes
Stay Nice and Clean During Camping Trips
Whether you camp in your backyard, on a trail, or at a campsite, staying clean and comfortable during your trip is important. Remember to have plenty of fun, eat lots of good food, and enjoy some quality time with friends and family. Also remember to pack plenty of wet wipes to help you stay nice and clean while you’re enjoying the great outdoors.